Sunday, October 16, 2011

Terry Fox Run

Me and Major Fitzgerald (Canada) crossing the finish line.

A few weeks ago, I participated in the Terry Fox Run. It is an annual 5k/10k run to benefit cancer. Terry Fox was a remarkable athlete who was diagnosed with cancer in his early twenties. The cancer took his right leg. To raise money for cancer, he decided to run across Canada. He said, "Somewhere the hurting must stop....and I was determined to take myself to the limit for this cause." Before the return of the cancer ended his efforts, he had run 3,339 miles, a marathon a day, for 143 days on a prosthetic leg, enduring much pain. His valiant effort received international attention. His legacy continues to inspire others to run to raise funds and awareness to fight cancer.

I didn't feel that motivated to participate in this run, especially being in not the best cardiovascular shape. But then I remembered my neice, Kate, and I realized I needed to run this race! Kate went through a year and a half of cancer treatments, beginning at the age of 2. She has persevered, and the latest scans of the tumor showed no growth! We have been praying for her during our worship services here at Camp Alamo, and know that our prayers have been answered! Kate has shown marvelous perseverance and determination in the face of this difficult trial. We love you, Kate; thanks for inspiring me to run this race!

No comments:

Post a Comment