Sunday, October 2, 2011

I am guilty...

This deployment has afforded me more time to watch BYU football than any year previous. Yes, I am a true blue, died in the wool, born in Provo, BYU football fan. This last game against Utah State was unreal; the Cougars won it on a tipped touchdown pass with 11 seconds left in the game. Of course, with the time difference, I had to wake up at 4:15am to catch the game. It was a Friday night game, so I watched it Saturday morning. The fact that it is on Friday is in deference to the LDS fan base of both teams, being General Conference weekend.

Wouldn't you know it; the Priesthood session was this morning at 4:30am, the same time as the football game a day earlier. Did I show the same enthusiasm I did for football and wake up at the early hour? Is not the priesthood session more important than football? Hmmmmm.....looks like I need to reevaluate my priorities, especially in light of one of the talks I heard. Thankfully, because of technology, I can still watch the recording of the priesthood session on my computer. Technology is such a blessing but it is still no excuse to put football in front of vital spiritual counsel! I have watched both Saturday sessions and there were many great talks.

Elder Ian S. Ardern spoke on spending our time wisely. He said that misusing time was akin to idleness. I was very convicted during this talk. It's one thing to watch a game a week, but it's another to waste hours each week reading about stuff surrounding it, when I could be doing more important things. I am going to make a change, and since I am posting it on this blog, now I am accountable. I am going to limit my time reading about sports to 10 minutes per day, with the goal to reduce it to 5 minutes per day after 2 weeks.

There are so many worthwhile things I could be doing instead. I keep thinking of the quote (paraphrased): "If you do not first choose the kingdom of heaven, it will make no difference in the end, what you have chosen."

4 comments:

  1. That talk really spoke to me as well! I'll have to set some time-management goals of my own. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your posting my dear Paul, I find your reflections very inspirational and I love the quote at the end. Thank you for being such a big example, just as a brother usually is. Love you, when I grow up I wanna be just like you, after the manner of Christ of course. Love you tons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. worthwhile things like spending time with your wife! :) i know i have my distractions, too. i'm glad you've seen the light. we can help each other spend our time more wisely. less sports for you, and less period dramas for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments; I am finally able to respond! When I tried before, it didn't work for some reason. Isn't it wonderful that we have living prophets on the earth today to give us much needed counsel? Just so you know, I have been doing well with my pledge to limit sports time on the internet. Only once or twice in the last month have I gone over the 10 minute limit. On Saturdays I let myself watch football, and when I am in the dining facility. This has worked out well.

    ReplyDelete