Sunday, January 22, 2012

You never know... & Watercolor class

More than a week ago, I was at the gym (most FOBs have them). While working out, I asked a person if I could work out on the mat next to him. There wasn't much space available, and he said something that I took offense to. My reply was guarded, and did not represent the disdain I felt inside for what he said. I knew that I was making a big deal out of what he said, that he probably did not mean to offend me. Yet, I let it stew inside of me. In the days that followed I observed him; he just seemed like he had a sour disposition. I didn't say anything rude to him at the gym, but inside I was still offended. Then came church on Friday, the LDS Sacrament Meeting. Who do you think showed up to observe the meeting? This could not have been more unexpected. I felt very convicted for what I had wrongfully felt inside. Why did I allow myself to take things so seriously and get offended? Yet, still I was glad that I had not said anything I would regret. You never know who will show up at your worship service, so we should treat everyone as if they are coming. King Benjamin said, "are we not all beggars?" This also implies, "are we not all brothers?" As brothers, (and sisters), how are we to treat each other? I have much to learn in this area and am grateful for God's patience in allowing me another day to learn to love. As I stated in my last post, it is what binds society together, and ultimately to God. Think about the city of Enoch: "And the Lord called his people Zion, because they were of one heart and one mind, and dwelt in righteousness, and there was no poor among them." They likely were not taking offense at little things either. Of all people, I'm a chaplain! But I am hopelessly human, and like everyone else, completely dependent on the strength and mercy of God to transform my heart from impenetrable stone to a submissive one in which can be written the will of God. On a different note: It finally hit me last night midway through the weekly watercolor painting class I hold for soldiers. I realized: I thought I was doing some valuable service for military personnel by providing them with an opportunity to learn to paint and have some time to relax. The real reason, (prior to last night held only in my subconscious mind), is that the painting class was for me. Having people come is just a justification for me to slip into the creative sphere of visual art for a couple hours once a week. Leaving the familiar realm of teaching art to begin my schooling as a chaplain was very traumatic at first. As I sat in a classroom lit by cold fluorescent lights, full of non-art desks and chairs, beginning the long education process that spanned 2006-2010, I felt like a fish out of water. I felt exactly the opposite of how I felt when I taught my first drawing class when I declared: I feel like a fish in the ocean. My whole being was revolting--how could this be happening? I am still in the process of making the transition from artist to chaplain. In reality, it is not an either/or situation. I need to own up to my responsibility to continue to express my creative ideas no matter where my income is generated. I am still an artist, and if I get lazy and do not use the talents God has given me, I will miss the blessings connected with the exercise of them. I need to find the right balance: my employer comes first (to provide for my family by the grace of God), but part of my responsibility to my employer is utilizing the gifts I have been given. I played my violin with the worship/praise team tonight during the Protestant service. I enjoyed being able to contribute and use the gift of music passed down from my grandfather through my mother. The bottom line is this: I don't need to wait for a "reason" (like students to teach or a praise team inviting me to play) to magnify the gifts I have been given. I need to be "anxiously engaged" in using them to reach out to others, and ultimately glorify God. Truly, he is the source of all creativity.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why didn't you tell me about your difficulty transitioning as a non-art student? You seemed to be handling things well to me - getting As and developing rapport with your fellow students and professors. . . When you come home, I'm sure I'll discover a lot of things about you that I don't know. . .

      Delete