Sunday, August 14, 2011

response to Todd's comments on the posting below

Todd,

You make a very good point. This is something that my friend struggles with--stepping out of his paradigm to attempt to understand another's. I am amazed at how people will not acknowledge that there are different ways to read the Bible, a fact that Joseph Smith pointed out very succinctly in his history. Why are there so many different denominations(and denominations within denominations) that all profess a belief in the same book? I don't want to spend time pointing out contradictions in the Bible; I think it is actually fairly succinct. If take this avenue, then people feel like we devalue the Bible. My friend says that our church views the Bible as "flawed." I love the Bible, and am grateful that we have this miraculous record.

I tried to explain Joseph Smith's inspired revisions in this way: If I tell something to Bill, you could either ask Bill what I said or ask me directly what I told Bill. God told Joseph Smith the real intent of certain Biblical verses. God confirms the truth to us, concerning what he has revealed to Joseph Smith. This is our ultimate source of truth; we do not have to be limited to physical signs of truth, in line with what Jesus told Thomas.

In the end; my only desire is that people respect what we believe, and only declare what they believe to be true, without feeling a need to tear down the faith of others. If what you belive is true, you only need declare it--others will be drawn to it. Thanks again for your comment, Todd. Hope you and your family are well.

No comments:

Post a Comment